Friday, April 4, 2014

A River of Red



I am almost certain that this is Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'. It is a shrub that I coveted in the Italian gardens that grew it as a hedge in place of the laurel that surrounds the garden of No 3 and the majority of the town's gardens. There is something enticing about this glorious display of bright red new growth. I have seen it locally in rivers of red, blocks of scarlet and specimens, clashing with bright pink cherry blossom. 

It has to be forgiven for any clashes...it is a delight and can not only make me smile, yet begs me to stroke the soft young leaves.

2 comments:

  1. There's a big bush of this in next door's garden, right next to a forsythia. They're a lively combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red makes a welcome change from the yellowness of spring. There would be no competition for me between the photinia and the forsythia. The photinia would win all the time.

    ReplyDelete